You are about to find out if does coconut oil help varicose veins and Does it work?
Varicose veins are enlarged, bulging veins. They may be genetic or caused by weak veins, blood pooling, and poor circulation. Aching, burning, swelling, and itching may occur. Coconut oil may be used as a holistic remedy for varicose veins.
What the research says
As is the case with many alternative remedies, there’s no published scientific research on the effectiveness of coconut for varicose veins. In theory, coconut oil and other essential oils that are used to increase circulation, reduce swelling, and ease pain may help.
Coconut oil is used in aromatherapy to relieve pain and reduce inflammation. A 2012 study showed coconut oil helped reduce ulcer duration and size. Skin ulcers are a common complication of varicose veins. Research also showed coconut oil has analgesic and sedative abilities that may help you cope with varicose vein pain.
How to use coconut oil for varicose veins
- Create a warm or cool compress by soaking a cloth in a blend of five drops of coconut oil and 1 litre of water. Apply the compress to the affected area for 15 minutes. Keep your legs elevated during application.
- Combine up to 30 drops of coconut oil with approximately 3 tablespoons of carrier oil. Popular carrier oils include sweet almond oil, olive oil, or jojoba oil. You may also add the oils to shea butter or cocoa butter. Use the mixture to massage the affected area in the direction of your heart.
- Dilute up to eight drops of coconut oil in a small amount of carrier oil. Add the mixture to warm bathwater.
- To relieve haemorrhoids (varicose veins of the anus), add up to eight drops of diluted essential oils to a sits bath.
To use coconut oil to induce calm and relieve pain:
- Inhale directly from the bottle or from an inhaler tube.
- Apply to a handkerchief or cotton pad, and inhale.
- Diffuse using a room diffuser.
- Risks and warnings
- Diluted essential oils are generally considered safe to use externally. If you apply undiluted essential oil to the skin, you may experience irritation or inflammation.